Hosted by the good folks behind Hackney Vegan Village and Ethical Emporium, Hackney Christmas Market returns triumphant and bigger than ever, with around 50 independent traders.
What to see and do
The focus is on socially conscious gifting, upcycling and ethical clothing—making this a great place to buy unique, guilt-free gifts. Browse around and you’ll discover:
- Artisanal Christmas gifts
- Seasonal decorations
- Swap shops and workshops–including Christmas wreath making, custom baubles, recycled card making, reusable crackers and gift-making
- Activities for kids
- Christmas trees
- Live entertainment
- Festive food
The workshops have a decidedly alternative spin, and are the only thing you’ll need to book in advance. Workshops include:
- Reusable Christmas Cracker & Recycled Cards Workshop (1hr) | December 15th @ 3.30pm | £20.00
- Macrame Workshop (1.5hr) | December 7–8th @ 1 pm | £10.00
- Patch Making & Mending Workshop (1.5hr) | December 7–8th, 14–15th @ 1pm (TBC) | £10.00
- ‘Sip & Rhyme’ Poetry Workshop (up to 3 hours) | November 30th, December 1st & 8th @ 1 pm | £5.00 Per Poem, 3 for £10.00
- VAMPED: an immersive up-cycling experience | 30th Nov @11 am–6 pm | £10.00
Food and drink
Expect a variety of world street food, including vegan options. Highlights include vegan dim sum, tempeh, and Indian food, as well as African Caribbean and Greek cuisine. There’s also sweet treats and a fully stocked bar. No Christmas market is complete without mulled wine, after all.
Taking kids to Hackney Christmas Market
There’s plenty to keep kids in the festive spirit, including the all new Santa’s Grotto. There’s also a giant snow globe, festive treats and plenty of child-friendly workshops.
Getting to Hackney Christmas Market
Hackney can look like a pain to reach, but it’s actually a fairly straightforward route. Bohemia Place Markets—directly opposite Hackney Central Station. If you’re not living locally, your best bet is almost certainly to take an Overground line train.
Stalls are open from 11 am–6 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, starting 30th November and ending 15th December
Looking for more cheap and free things to do while you’re in the area? Check out our guide to nearby DalstonOrganisers may cancel events, alter schedules, or change admission requirements without notice. Always check official sites before heading to an event.